Up the White Road

Up the White Road

Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you
T.S. Eliot
"The Waste Land"
v. 359-362

2008-12-09

This is a good quote from a book I just read.

When I was a sophomore in college, I took a linguistics class. I remember watching this weird video from the '70s about how amazing language is - that you can create out of thin air an idea that no one has ever thought of before. The sentence they gave as example went something like this: Hitler's mother screamed while tossing the green canary. Like I said - it was weird.

But I always think about that movie whenever I read something I think is particularly creative in a book I read. Here is one such quote, posted for your amusement. I don't think I'll be able to go to a college campus again without chuckling.

"Student's cruised by on skateboards, bikes, and rollerblades, wearing backpacks, headphones, and earbuds, wrapped in fleece blankets, carrying stuffed animals and cradling laptops. Many were still dressed in nightclothes under their coats: T-shirts and sweatpants, flip-flops or clogs. They looked like refugees from a country that favored audio technology, impractical footwear, and personal transportation. - The Dragon Heir, p. 397 by Cinda Williams Chima

1 comment:

Jen said...

*snerk*

That is funny.